Monday, August 29, 2011

Student Spotlight - Kenny Hertling

This summer, a handful of our students took advantage of our 2011 TheatreFest season (3 shows in rolling repertory), Southern Comforts. From acting, to working backstage, to filling in as understudies, our students had the opportunity to work together and with professionals from the community to create a wonderful summer of shows!

Kenny Hertling, Sophomore in Political Science, was able to participate in TheatreFest for class credit, something University Theatre offers every summer. Below, Kenny gives us the low-down on what it took to complete the course successfully and everything else he discovered along the way!


Among other backstage duties, Kenny played the role of "guard" in
WMKS: Where Music Kills Sorrow.

UT: Why did you choose to participate in TheatreFest for class credit?

KH: I chose to participate in TheatreFest for class credit because it gave me a chance to develop my skills as an actor as well as a stage hand.


UT: What did you have to do in order to get class credit?

KH: In order to get class credit, I was the light board operator for Dixie Swim Club and an actor in WMKS: Where Music Kills Sorrow. I enjoyed this because it allowed me to be on both the acting and technical side of theater. It also gave me the opportunity to work with many actors that I would not have had the chance to work with otherwise.


UT: How did the rehearsal process differ with this being a play and musical rolled in one?

KH: The rehearsal process for WMKS varied for me because I was not one of the singers, but I enjoyed going to the music portions of the rehearsals just to get to know the songs and my fellow cast members.


UT: Describe your experience working with professional actors and stage manager. Have you come away learning anything new or taking on any new practices before, during or after a show?

KH: Through TheatreFest I learned a lot about ways to rehearse lines that I had never heard of and I also learned some theatrical lingo that had once been foreign to me.

UT: Would you encourage other students to be a part of TheatreFest in the future and why?

KH: I would encourage other students to participate in TheatreFest because it is a great opportunity to meet actors from outside of campus and to work with people that did not have enough time during the year to audition for any shows.


Thanks for sharing, Kenny!

Interested in being a part of TheatreFest? Keep an eye out for more information this spring or ask our students about it!



No comments: