Thursday, September 1, 2011

The New Guy

In August, University Theatre hired a new Lighting and Sound Designer and we are excited to start hanging, focusing... and pranking with the new guy!

Read on to learn more about our new lighting and sound guru!
(I already learned we share a North Carolina education and NEED for organization!)

UT: Give us a quick synopsis of your educational/professional background.

JR: Well, I am originally from Raleigh, undergrad at UNCG. Went out into the world for a few years as a designer then took two years off from it, thought I was done with the starving artist lifestyle. But, I started doing smaller shows here and there and decided to go back to school for my MFA in lighting design. So two years at CCM in Cincinnati I moved back to NC and found a job at Campbell University. Two years later I showed up here.

UT: What drew you to University Theatre?

JR: The atmosphere, the people, and the level of artistry produced here.

UT: What are you most excited about accomplishing this year as the new lighting and sound designer?

JR: Right now... organizing! I'm such a neat freak. But once that's out of the way, I'm excited about finding my way, meeting new students, and putting on a couple of shows.

UT: What aspect of working with the students are you looking forward to most?

JR: That "oh" moment they have when they learn something new.

UT: What do you love most about lighting design? Sound design?

JR: I love the movement of lighting, and sound. They are both a living things that constantly change and grow throughout the performance.


UT: How did you decide to go into lighting and sound design?

JR: Again, I think it's the living part of lighting and sound, it's not static. I also like the idea that this week I will work hour after hour to create something that will be gone next week - its once in a lifetime. But the best part is I get to do something completely different the following week!


UT: What was your initial reaction to the UT staff on your first day, especially after seeing your modern office set up?

Our UT staff has a strong tradition of pranking each other.
On Josh's first day, he was met with a state-of-the-art office.
Complete with typed letter explaining the budget cuts...

(note: the phone works and is now in Jayme's office.
The ring can be heard a mile away, take it from the girl whose office is right next door...)




JR: Honestly, at first I didn't notice it, David had to point it out. I was still in the "okay, I came through that door, now where am I in this building?" But after seeing what the staff I did I knew I was in the right place - and looking forward to my turn in someones office.

UT: When you are not in the theatre, what do you like to do in your spare time?
JR: Spare time... really? Well, I like to be outside. Golf, fishing, or in my garden. Sunshine, that's what I like to do in my spare time.

UT: What are some of the most important lessons you learned in undergrad and do you have any advice for students, either in general or if they are planning on pursuing theatre after college?

JR: Do what ever you want to while you're in undergrad, it is your time to discover yourself. Continue to do something outside of your field, as many undergrads here do by participating in University Theater. If you plan to pursue theater after college, find something else you like to do while your here at NCSU. I have found the greatest lessons I have learned about my career came from classes or activities that had nothing to do with theater.



UT: Over your entire career, what show have you enjoyed working on the most? Why?

JR: Madame Butterfly at the Cincinnati Opera. Before I assisted on this show, I didn't know the first thing about opera and thought I knew all there was to lighting design. After this show, I had learned so much and gained not only an appreciation for opera but a thirst for it.

UT: What else should we know about you?

JR: Well, we are expecting out first child, a little girl, at the end of September.

__________________________________________

Thanks for sharing, Josh!

We all look forward to working with you and expect to see 100 wallet-sized photos of your child's first day in the world very soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If he's "originally" from raleigh, where is he duplicately from ?